Being single and loving food is sometimes the best combination of all time; you don’t have to share your delicious food! Over the past four years of living on my own in college (but with awesome roommates, of course!), I’ve learned the do’s and dont’s of grocery shopping and cooking for one. Whether it’s making a quick smoothie in a personal-sized blender, or buying ingredients for no more than two different dishes per week (isn’t it the worst when you are obligated to throw away and waste food??), I’ve also experimented with concocting special treats for myself. And so, this individual baked caramel apple was born!
Caramel is my go-to when I have a sweet-tooth craving, and most of the ingredients used here I usually have on hand. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and bake, so it’s great when I want something more substantial than a candy bar or a plain apple. And bonus: this baked apple, as they say, can help keep the doctor away! But maybe not the dentist…
Whether you are on your own or just hungry—or both (join the club!)—try out my super simple recipe for a quick indulgent treat—perfect for any day of the week, and frankly, anytime of the day! Nam sayin’?
- 1 apple
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Spray a small ramekin/oven-safe dish with nonstick spray.
- Peel, cut in half, and core the apple; place in the ramekin.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in flour and stir until a paste forms.
- Mix in brown sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer and allow to thicken; about 3 mins.
- Pour (and smother!) over apple halves and bake in the oven for 10 mins, or until apples are just soft.
- Serve hot with ice cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon!